Roman Catholic Church of Our Lady of Perpetual Help
The current church was erected along with the barracks by the tsarist authorities in 1903-1905 as an Orthodox garrison church. After the Russians fled Hrubieszow, the abandoned church was occupied by the city’s new occupant, the Austrians, who turned it into a military warehouse. After independence was regained in 1918, a Roman Catholic church functioned here. In the interwar period, the 2nd Horse Rifle Regiment, part of the Volhynian Cavalry Brigade, was stationed in the city. At that time the temple was reconceptualized as a garrison church of the Polish Army, and it prospered as such until the end of September 1939. During the Nazi occupation, the Germans adapted the building as a stable for horses and warehouses for German troops. Between 1944 and 1953, the building again served religious purposes for both the military and civilians. Closed by the communist authorities as early as 1953, it was transferred to a military warehouse and so became a place to store hay and straw. The military used the building, but did not renovate it. The building, which formerly served a religious function, was quickly devastated, and the valuable interior was looted.
Rev. Stanislav Chomich, the parish priest, lifted the temple from the ruins, using the capabilities and talents of Viktor Zin, the historic preservationist at the time. After the object was recovered, extensive renovation was carried out in the church. After reconstruction in 1981-1982, conducted according to the design of Prof. Viktor Zin, it was reconsecrated as a Roman Catholic parish church dedicated to Our Lady of Perpetual Help, and serves this function to this day.
Location: ul. Dwernickiego 85